How does an AED work?
An AED works by delivering an electrical shock to the heart that restores a normal rhythm. You operate an AED by following these basic steps:
- Place the AED near the victim’s head and power on the unit.
- Follow the AED prompts and directions.
- Apply the AED electrode pads. Be sure to wipe the chest to remove moisture.
- Place one pad on the right side of the chest below the collarbone
- Place the other pad on the lower left side of the chest
- Connect pads to the AED
- Do not stop CPR while setting up the AED and applying pads
- Move away from the patient and shock. Do not touch the patient or their clothing at this time..