Here at AED Superstore we are always listening to our customers and their requests for new products. Tourniquets were one of those items consistently mentioned, so when our representatives attended the EMS World Expo in October, they were excited to find S.T.A.T. Medical Devices and their easy-to-use tourniquet with a familiar design. Their immediate reaction was “It’s a big zip tie! That’s brilliant!” and got to work getting S.T.A.T.’s tourniquet on board for our customers to purchase.
S.T.A.T. tourniquets are made in the USA with latex-free materials and have the following features which make them simple for a layperson to use:
- Five-second application by a person with no experience
- A time strip where the timer starts counting once it is activated with a simple push of a button – no batteries!
- The ability to tighten in 2-millimeter increments with use on limbs sizes as small as 20 mm.
- SImple, visible instructions printed right on the tourniquet.
- A release lever to remove the tourniquet for surgery with a safety cover so it doesn’t accidentally release during transport.
- An automatic self-locking mechanism.
- Made of a proprietary bullet resistant material which reseals after being shot.
- A finger loop which allows for extra grip while applying.
One feature which will be familiar to anyone who has ever used zip ties frequently is the ability to join several together to form a much longer zip tie. In the case of the S.T.A.T. tourniquet, putting several together turns them into a torso compression strap. Once on, the compression strap applies consistent pressure to a packed wound on the chest, stomach, or back, and leaves a rescuer’s hands-free for other life-saving tasks.
ST.A.T. Medical Devices tourniquets are a great choice for emergency vehicles (the finger loop at the top is the perfect size to fit on a large carabiner which can be hung in an ambulance or other first responder truck for ease of access to multiple tourniquets). As part of a first aid kit, they are compact before opened so do not take up much room while adding a component which may save someone’s life one day.
Uncontrolled bleeding is the number one cause of preventable death from trauma. Someone with life-threatening bleeding can die within 5 minutes if it is not stopped quickly. Tourniquets are a key component to stopping blood loss. Take a few minutes to check out our new tourniquets from S.T.A.T. Medical Devices and let us know what you think in the comments.