Heartsaver® Bloodborne Pathogens Student Workbook
This easy-to-understand, full-color workbook is the required student text for the Heartsaver® Bloodborne Pathogens classroom-based course. The workbook includes a perforated course participation card. Soft cover, 36 pages, 8 1/2" x 11".
The Heartsaver® Bloodborne Pathogens course teaches employees how to protect themselves and others when confronted with blood or blood-containing materials. The course is designed specifically for workers who have a reasonable chance of contact with bloodborne pathogens, including correctional officers, childcare workers, security guards, maintenance workers, school personnel, hotel housekeepers, health and fitness club staff, and tattoo artists. The Heartsaver Bloodborne Pathogens course uses the PACT™ acronym (Protect, Act, Clean, Tell) and the slogan, "Make a PACT, Know How to Act," to help students learn and easily recall bloodborne pathogens training. It also helps employers meet OSHA requirements for bloodborne pathogens training when paired with site-specific instruction.
After successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- explain the importance of taking the Heartsaver Bloodborne Pathogens course
- define bloodborne pathogens
- describe the four main steps for staying safe when facing an occupational exposure
- discuss how universal precautions, personal protective equipment, and handwashing can protect them from infection
- recognize warning signs and labels for biohazards
- recall how to safely remove gloves
- discuss how to dispose of sharps and other blood-containing items
- identify the types of spills and methods to clean them
- discuss their exposure control plan.
No skills test or skills demonstration is required at the end of this course. However, AHA provides an optional written exam for use if the employer requires an exam for completion.
Key Features and Benefits
- contains all the information students need to successfully complete the Heartsaver Bloodborne Pathogens course
- is for use in a classroom setting with a facilitator or an AHA Instructor
- is useful as an ongoing reference after the course is completed
- features full-color illustrations throughout
- includes a perforated course participation card on the back cover
- is designed for use by a single student.