This package contains the materials facilitators or American Heart Association Instructors need to teach the classroom-based Heartsaver® Bloodborne Pathogens course. Package contains 1 copy of the Heartsaver® Bloodborne Pathogens Instructor Manual, 1 bilingual (English/Spanish) DVD, 1 Heartsaver® Bloodborne Pathogens Poster.
The Heartsaver® Bloodborne Pathogens Course instructs employees on ways protect themselves and others when exposed to blood or blood-containing materials. This course is designed to meet OSHA requirements for bloodborne pathogens training when paired with site-specific instruction. It is also designed specifically for workers with a reasonable chance of coming into contact with bloodborne pathogens, including correctional officers, childcare workers, security guards, maintenance workers, school personnel, hotel housekeepers, health and fitness club staff, and tattoo artists. The course uses the PACT™ acronym (Protect, Act, Clean, Tell) and slogan, "Make a PACT, Know How to Act," to help students learn and easily recall bloodborne pathogens training.
After successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- explain the importance of taking the Heartsaver Bloodborne Pathogens course
- define bloodborne pathogens
- describe the four main steps for staying safe when facing an occupational exposure
- discuss how universal precautions, personal protective equipment, and handwashing can protect them from infection
- recognize warning signs and labels for biohazards
- recall how to safely remove gloves
- discuss how to dispose of sharps and other blood-containing items
- identify the types of spills and methods to clean them
- discuss their exposure control plan.
No skills test or skills demonstration is required at the end of this course. However, AHA provides an optional written exam for use if the employer requires an exam for completion.
Key Features and Benefits
This facilitator package:
- contains all materials needed to teach the Heartsaver Bloodborne Pathogens course
- includes the facilitator manual, bilingual course DVD, and Heartsaver Bloodborne Pathogens poster
Dimensions and Specifications
- 20 pages
- 8 1/2" x 11"
- full-color, softcover book
- Bilingual English/Spanish
- Content: Introduction, Protect, Act, Clean, Tell
- Total running time: 22:33 minutes
Heartsaver® Bloodborne Pathogens poster, 11" x 17"
Additional Supplies Needed for Operation:
- DVD player or DVD-capable computer.