This convenient package contains materials for teaching the classroom-based and blended-learning options for the Basic Life Support (BLS) course: the Basic Life Support (BLS) Instructor Manual, the Basic Life Support (BLS) Provider Manual, and the Basic Life Support (BLS) DVD Set with Renewal Course DVD. All components are also sold separately. Based on the 2015 American Heart Association Guidelines for CPR and ECC.
BLS is the foundation for saving lives after cardiac arrest. This video-based, instructor-led course teaches both single-rescuer and team basic life support skills for application in both in-facility and prehospital settings. This course is designed for healthcare professionals and other personnel who need to know how to perform CPR and other basic cardiovascular life support skills.
After successfully completing the BLS course, students should be able to:
- describe the importance of high-quality CPR and its impact on survival.
- describe all the steps of the Chain of Survival and apply the BLS concepts of the Chain of Survival.
- recognize the signs of someone needing CPR.
- perform high-quality CPR on adults, children, and infants.
- describe the importance of early AED use and demonstrate using one.
- provide effective ventilations with a barrier device.
- describe the importance of teams in multi-rescuer resuscitation and perform as an effective team member during multi-rescuer CPR.
- describe the technique for relief of foreign-body airway obstruction (choking) for adults and infants.
Dimensions and Specifications
The package includes:
Basic Life Support (BLS) Instructor Manual (15-1009). Designed for Instructors of the BLS course, this full-color manual has text based on current education principles and includes:
- detailed lesson plans (16 for the classroom-based course and 15 for the blended-learning course) and information for teaching the BLS for Healthcare Providers course on an initial or a renewal basis.
- an Instructor CD featuring supplemental information and tools.
- 6 page-divider tabs to make finding key sections quick and simple.
- 50 pages (plus 31 lesson plans), with 6 page-divider tabs, 8 1/2" x 11". Formatted as a loose-leaf, 3-hole-punched manual that fits into a binder.
Basic Life Support (BLS) Provider Manual (15-1010). The required student text for the BLS course, this manual includes:
- information on single-rescuer and team basic life support skills for application in both in-hospital and out-of-hospital settings, including emergency recognition; adult, child, and infant rescue techniques; high-quality CPR; AED use; and relief of choking.
- a 2-sided, 3-panel pocket reference card (4" x 6 1/2" folded).
- 96 pages, 8 1/2" x 11".
Basic Life Support (BLS) DVD Set with Renewal Course DVD (15-1079). Includes the required video segments for the classroom-based and blended-learning options for the full BLS course, as well as the classroom-based renewal course for providers who already have BLS training but need to renew their certification. For the full course, Instructors can choose between in-facility and prehospital tracks, based on the needs of the students in the class. The renewal course DVD features accelerated content, allowing for time efficiency while teaching both single-rescuer and team BLS skills for both in-facility and prehospital settings.
- Disc one (classroom-based course)
- Disc two (blended-learning course)
- Disc three (renewal course)
Additional Supplies Needed for Operation
To teach the BLS course, you will also need:
- DVD player
- training manikins